“If I am your baby, please touch me. I need your touch in ways you may never know. Don’t just wash and change and feed me but rock me close, kiss my face and stroke my body. Your soothing, gentle touch says security and love." (Phyllis K. Davis)
Baby massage is a tradition that is centuries old with historians having found evidence of baby massage dating back over 3000 years. Baby massage can provide both mother and baby with significant and undisputed benefits that are widely endorsed by medical practitioners worldwide.
- Improving relaxation, therefore encouraging longer sleep duration for babies
- Promoting attachment and strengthening the bond between mother and infant
- Stimulating all of baby’s major internal systems: co-ordination, respiration, learning ability and language development
- Increasing the release of Oxytocin, ‘The feel-good hormone’ (which can also stimulate the production of breast milk for mum)
- Reducing the stress levels and the stress hormone Cortisol
- Relaxing both mother and baby
Baby massage can also alleviate many of the symptoms and pain associated with common newborn ailments such as:
- Colic and trapped wind
- Constipation and digestive issues
- Discomfort caused by teething
- Nasal congestion
- Growing pains
Baby massage has shown to help with mothers suffering from postnatal depression and help mothers have a more positive interaction with their baby. Studies have also shown that fathers who massage their babies regularly each night before bed they interact much better with their babies than fathers who do not.
As Frederick Leboyer says, “It is through our hands that we speak to the child. That we communicate. Touch is the child’s first language, understanding comes long after feeling.”
Through our sessions, you will learn about your baby’s important non-verbal cues and discover how to communicate with your baby.
Our Bay-bee massage classes:
Classes focus on a different body part each week building up to a beautiful full body routine to enjoy with your baby. You will learn techniques to soothe the symptoms of teething, wind and colic that cause so much discomfort in our little ones. We will also stimulate your little one’s senses through the gorgeous sensory activities that are part of our classes.
Suitable from birth, there is no upper age limit to baby massage, it will simply depend on whether your baby is willing to stay fairly still long enough to enjoy the massage!
At our Undy classes, we finish with refreshments and a chance to chat. At Little Dinos, you will have the opportunity to ‘Stay & Play.’ You will also receive a free bottle of our nurturing massage oil and supportive handouts to use at home.